Book direct and Save!
- We guarantee you the best rates!
- No booking fees
- Book now, pay later
Bombe Alaska with Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote Recipe
Bombe Alaska with Rhubarb & Strawberry
- 250 grams plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon bicarb soda
- 200 grams caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 200mls buttermilk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- 125 grams butter (softened)
- Preheat oven to 180c fan-forced.
- Grease a 10cm x 20cm tray.
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until combined.
- In a bowl, sift together all dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Once beaten, add the eggs, along with the buttermilk, to the dry ingredients.
- When combined, add in the creamed butter and sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then cut into shape using an 8cm round cutter.
- 100 grams egg white
- 180 grams caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- A few drops of vinegar
- In a mixer, mix egg whites on high until peaks form.
- Add in pinch of salt and a few drops of vinegar and mix on high speed.
- Slowly add in sugar, beat on high speed for 10 minutes or until glossy.
- Put all meringue into a piping bag, with a star nozzle.
RHUBARB STRAWBERRY COMPOTE
- 1 cup rhubarb
- 1 cup strawberry
- 100mls Rosé or Moscato
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Dice rhubarb and strawberry into 1cm cubes.
- In a small saucepan on low, heat up Rosé or Moscato, sugar and rosewater.
- When simmering, add fruit.
- When liquid is thickening up and starts to boil, usually after about 10 minutes, take off heat.
ASSEMBLING THE BOMBE
- On a plate, place the sponge in the centre and add a few drops of Cointreau or liquor of your choice onto the sponge.
- Place a scoop of ice cream (we recommend a rhubarb or berry ice cream, but chocolate works too!), the same size as the sponge, on the top of the sponge.
- Pipe the meringue around the sponge and ice cream.
- Garnish the plate with the strawberry and rhubarb compote. We also like to add on some Persian fairy floss, Turkish delights and edible flowers! Be creative with this element!
- On top of the meringue, pour a small amount of brandy and light with a blowtorch to experience the theatrics!